Self-storage is an instant solution for people and businesses that require extra storage space for their home appliances and office equipment. Below is a step by step guide on how to choose a storage facility.
Opt For Reputable Companies
Conduct some background research to assess the reputation of the various self-storage companies in your locality. Some of your concerns should include:
- The company should have a responsive customer care department. It ensures the company responds to your inquiries on time.
- Check previous customer reviews on the company's social media pages and website. Negative reviews are an indication of poor customer service.
- The company should have friendly terms and conditions. For instance, you may want to avoid companies that dispose of your items if you do not make payments on time.
- Compare the price structure of the various companies. Typically, they should allow both short and long term storage. Besides, they should not impose extra and hidden costs.
- Inquire if the storage unit has an insurance cover. In some cases, the company could ask you to take an additional cover.
Storage Unit Specifications
Below are some storage unit specifications you should look out for:
- Examine the security features of the unit. For example, an alarm and restricted access system will prevent unscrupulous individuals from accessing your unit.
- Other than the size, examine the accessibility of the unit. For instance, a wide door ensures you can store large furniture and irregular sized items such as pianos.
- Some companies will install shelves to ensure customers have an easy time organising items in the storage unit.
- Inspect the unit for pests such as cockroaches and termites.
- Choose a climate-controlled unit if you would want to store documents, paintings and furniture.
Reputable companies will provide complementary services to their clients. For example, they may ask their staff to help your organise your storage unit. Other companies could provide long term parking for your RV, motorbike, boat or ATV. Besides, customers could be allowed to use office and conference facilities. People with a busy schedule could opt for companies that provide full-service storage. Some storage companies will also offer removal services. Simply put, they will offer transport services from your premises to the storage unit.
Portable storage is an ideal choice for people that would want a self-storage unit in their home or business premises. The storage company will place a storage unit in your compound. They will also move the unit if you would want to relocate to another location.
When choosing a self-storage unit, work with reputable companies, check the specifications of the storage unit, examine the company's complimentary services and determine the need for portable storage.